National Launch and Training of Trainers on Women ICT Frontier Initiative (WIFI) in Armenia
Date: 26-29 September 2017
Venue: RA Public Administration Academy, Yerevan State University
Jointly Organized by
United Nations Asian and Pacific Training Centre for Information and Communication Technology for Development (APCICT/ESCAP), Civil Service Council of the Republic of Armenia and Armenian Young Women’s Association
Information and communications technology (ICT) is an enabler for socio-economic development, participation and empowerment. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development recognizes ICT as valuable tools for facilitating the efforts towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their targets. SDG 5 (Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls) has targets that address drivers of gender inequality and violence against women, and ensures their full and effective participation in society. It also has a specific target to “enhance the use of enabling technology, in particular information and communications technology, to promote the empowerment of women” (SDG 5, target 5.b).
It is in this context that the Asian and Pacific Training Centre for ICT for Development (APCICT), a regional institute of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), embarked on the programme called “Women ICT Frontier Initiative” (WIFI). The WIFI programme aims to promote women’s entrepreneurship in Asia and the Pacific through ICT capacity development. It will support women to become economically productive, through entrepreneurship that is enabled by ICT.
In an effort to strengthen the capacities of entrepreneurs and policymakers in Armenia, Civil Service Council of the Republic of Armenia, Armenian Young Women’s Association, and the United Nations Asian and Pacific Training Centre for ICT for Development are co-organizing National Launch and Training of Trainers on Women ICT Frontier Initiative (WIFI) in Armenia on 26-29 September 2017 in Yerevan.
- Introduce the WIFI programme and the importance of ICT capacity development for women entrepreneurs to key stakeholders including government officials, training institutions, civil society groups, women entrepreneur associations;
- Enhance understanding of the importance of women entrepreneurship and ICT capacity development;
- Increase stakeholder buy-in, strengthen engagement and ownership of WIFI national focal partners;
- Expand the pool of national resource persons who can deliver the WIFI modules to women entrepreneurs and policymakers; and
- Deliver the training content at community level to potential/current women entrepreneurs.
- WIFI Training of Trainers (ToT) Workshop on ICT for Women Entrepreneurs (Women Entrepreneurs Track) on 26-28 September (Tuesday to Thursday)
- WIFI Training of Trainers (ToT) Workshop on Enabling Policy Environment for Women Entrepreneurship (Policymakers Track) on 26-28 September (Tuesday to Thursday)
- WIFI National Launch on 29 September (Friday)
- WIFI Stakeholders Group Meeting on 28 September (Thursday)
- Officials from the Civil Service Council of the Republic of Armenia;
- Representatives from relevant ministries, academia and training institutions;
- Representatives from civil society organizations and women’s entrepreneur associations;
- Representatives from stakeholders including the private sector.
The Policymakers track will be attended by potential trainers comprising of government officials and civil servants from various ministries, agencies and civil service training organizations
The Women Entrepreneurs track will be attended by potential trainers comprising of representatives from relevant government organizations, training institutions and civil society organizations. The community workshops will be attended by women entrepreneurs and potential women entrepreneurs from the country.
ABOUT THE WIFI TRAINING PROGRAMME
- Government, ICT and Women Entrepreneurship. The objective of the module is to inform policymakers on women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship, and the effective role of ICT for promoting these, and contribute to developing their gender-related policymaking knowledge for supporting women entrepreneurs and their access to ICT.
- Women's Empowerment, SDGs and ICT. This module introduces the key concepts of women's empowerment, the related sustainable development goals, and its barriers and enablers. The module presents the opportunities and challenges to using ICTs for supporting women's empowerment.
- Enabling Role of ICT for Women Entrepreneurs. The key concepts of entrepreneurship and how it contributes to women’s empowerment are discussed in this module. It describes the global status of women entrepreneurs, and explores the barriers and enablers faced by women entrepreneurs, and the role of ICT in supporting women's entrepreneurship.
Planning a Business Using ICT. The purpose of this module is to introduce women entrepreneurs and potential entrepreneurs to the fundamentals of business planning and how ICTs can help in the process. It also provides practical exercises for women to start applying ICT and other tools to planning their business activities.
Managing a Business Using ICT. This is a follow-up module to “Planning a Business Using ICT” that introduces women entrepreneurs and potential entrepreneurs to the start-up and management of a business, and how ICTs help in the process. Case examples and suggested activities are provided to help the audience start applying ICT and other tools for managing a business.
Power Point Presentations